Election News

If Dump Trump Is the Best They Got, Dems Will Lose in 2020

It might surprise you to hear that — Sen. Bernie Sanders, the standard bearer for the progressive left, doesn’t want Democrats to become “obsessed” with beating President Trump in the 2020 election.

Speaking to Jon Favreau on the podcast “Pod Save America,” Sanders told Favreau that while it is very difficult to ignore Trump’s controversial tweets, focusing on them and not the issues that American care about, will almost guarantee that the current occupant of the White House remains there for another term.


“You cannot ignore Donald Trump and his tweets and his lies,” Sanders said. “But if you become obsessed with them, I guarantee you will lose the election.”

On the recent podcast, that originally aired prior to Tuesday night’s Democratic Debate Part 1, Sanders also criticized his fellow candidates for not shifting the focus of their campaigns to include young and working-class voters.

“The establishment hangs out with the wealthy and the comfortable and people in power and the establishment kind of forgets that as we speak there are millions of people living paycheck to paycheck, who can’t afford health care, who can’t–are paying 50 percent of their limited incomes on rent, who are scared to death about an illness in the family that might bankrupt them,” Sanders said.

The independent Senator from Vermont then added, “I think the Democratic establishment to a significant degree, there’s a lot of rhetoric out there, but has really forgotten about that and has forgotten about the need to stand up the power.”

Trump and Bernie

Despite being embroiled in controversy for almost the same thing, President Trump this week accused Sanders of being “racist” over negative things he said about the city of Baltimore. In a tweet Trump, suggested that “Crazy Bernie Sanders” be labeled as “a racist” for calling Baltimore a “Third World country” and a “disgrace” back in 2015.

Obviously playing off of the accusations that have been hurled at Trump for his own war of words with Democratic Congressman from Baltimore, Elijah Cummings, Trump tweeted earlier this week, “I assume that Bernie must now be labeled a Racist, just as a Republican would if he used that term and standard.”

Election News
6 Comments on this post.
  • El Tejas
    5 August 2019 at 6:30 pm
    Leave a Reply

    Noted author Martha Brockenbrough has observed that “this is a nation built by people in pursuit of powerful principles. As with everything created by humans, the nation has flaws. But the flaws do not diminish the beauty of the ambitions that fired people like Alexander Hamilton and others. No democracy in the history of the world has lasted longer that the one he, perhaps above all, helped forge. We, the people, owe a debt of gratitude to Alexander — an immigrant — and to the many other souls who built this nation; men, women, people of color, people living in bondage, and those persecuted for their religion and differences. It is our obligation to understand the complexity, the fragility, and the failures that have dogged us in every step of our history. We owe it to the founders, to ourselves, and to the millions of unborn souls to keep working, keep understanding, and keep doing better to make good on the promises of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

  • William Harkleroad
    5 August 2019 at 6:55 pm
    Leave a Reply

    El Tajas,

    We do not live in a democracy, we live in a Constitutional Republic. There is a huge difference. That aside, the rest of what you wrote was very well written. But never forget that our founders most all wanted to avoid a democracy because in a democracy, the 50.1% rule over the other 49.9%. This is why, in many instances, it requires far more than a simple majority to pass legislation. It is also why the electoral college exists.

  • nightlight
    5 August 2019 at 10:41 pm
    Leave a Reply

    Have you ever wondered why we have to have a GOP (Good Old Party) AND a Democratic (Bad Old [anti-American] Party), especially when the GOP often sides with the Democrats in passing the most horrible, unconstitutional, criminal bills?

  • Ronald smith
    7 August 2019 at 12:03 am
    Leave a Reply

    Democrats are going to Lose the 20/20 Election anyway because they have NO agenda and are total Morons ! TRUMP 20/20 MAGA !

  • Ronald smith
    7 August 2019 at 12:05 am
    Leave a Reply

    Democrats are going to lose the election anyway , because they have NO agenda and are Total MORON’s TRUMP 20/20 MAGA

  • Stevseda
    9 November 2019 at 3:49 am
    Leave a Reply

    Online Pharmacy Bactrim Ds zoloft Buy Doxycycline In Bali Vermox Otc Or Rx

  • Leave a Reply