Policies

Seniors Would Rather Face the Coronavirus Than Continue to Hurt the Economy!

The lieutenant governor of Texas says “hundreds” of older constituents have told him they would rather gamble with death than see the economy ruined by a coronavirus lockdown.

“I’m not living in fear of COVID-19. What I’m living in fear of is what’s happening to this country,” Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, who turns 70 next week, told Tucker Carlson on his Fox News show earlier this week.

“No one reached out to me and said, ‘As a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival, in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren?”, said Patrick, who admits he’s “in the high-risk pool.”

“And if that’s the exchange, I’m all in,” he continued.

Patrick insisted he has “talked to hundreds of people” in the last week who are more worried about giving future generations a “shot at the American dream” than being in the small percentage killed in the pandemic.

“Everyone says pretty much the same thing, that we can’t lose our whole country,” he said, fearing “total economic collapse and potentially a collapse of our society” with an extended lockdown.

“Let’s get back to work. Let’s get back to living,” he told Carlson. “Don’t sacrifice the country.”

It would seem that President Trump agrees with Patrick. During a recent COVID-19 task force briefing, the president said, that “we cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself,” and that he wants America back opened for business “by Easter.”

YOU MIGHT LIKE
Categories
Policies
39 Comments on this post.
  • Ronald D Keeth
    28 March 2020 at 4:17 pm

Agree!

• James Reissner
    28 March 2020 at 4:18 pm

I agree. Not worth damaging our country

• Paul Beiter
    28 March 2020 at 4:32 pm

I agree 100%. I would be very careful in my exposure to the virus, but I want the US NOT to live in fear of Coronavirus. Life has to go on. 100 years ago , the US had the Spanish Flu and they suffered with the rest of the world but we can back to move on to a greater economy. In those days and before then, people understood the circle of life with clarity.

• Bob bader
    28 March 2020 at 4:49 pm

I’, right there with him

• Jcatherine
    28 March 2020 at 5:10 pm

I agree..we have great medical professionals that are learning quickly how to deal with this extremely contagious (but not as deadly as the msm would like) bug. I’m 77 years old, still employed, and I’ll take my chances, and I don’t look to big brother to guide me through it all. GO BACK TO WORK.

• Joyce hasselbalch
    28 March 2020 at 5:15 pm

Maybe that is because they aren’t the ones out and about and mingling in the work place? They stay isolated and have younger people infected? Younger people are also dying of this.

• bud Grounds
    28 March 2020 at 5:18 pm

I have running comments on the internet about this and agree with Governor Patrick as
    it seems far more older people, like me (79) feel the numbers don’t add up when considering
    a far greater number of people die from the flu each year than this virus. Have we ever had
    a shutdown due to the flu? Are the small percentage of deaths as those who were infected an
    indication this in overblown? Open those businesses with restrictions based on common sense, let those
    young people go back to work and us old people will live with whatever happens.

• Karron
      7 April 2020 at 7:47 pm

That’s right! Check the stats for H1N1 2017/2018 and 2018/2019.

• Lfty64
    28 March 2020 at 6:08 pm

I am in my seventies and I could understand that feeling. I tell my children I don’t have a future, you are my future. Now I don’t feel like I am packing it in tomorrow, but I worry more about my children’s future world than the short time I have left, and the economy is a big part of their future. How long did it take to recover from the last depression? Not trying to sound like a martyr, just expressing my feelings.

• Jamie
    28 March 2020 at 6:17 pm

Im a senior with many health issues and I completely agree with taking my chances to not destroy America for my children and grandchildren. They are the future and deserve better. I don’t have the virus and neither do they. I’m willing and insistent that I take my chances for their sake.

• Joanna Ishee
    28 March 2020 at 6:20 pm

We have an intelligent president if people would work with him instead against all this panic wouldn’t be happening. I think people fear being controlled more than they do virus. People who get peace from God don’t want their churches shut down.

• Roland
    28 March 2020 at 6:37 pm

Texas lt gov. is a piece of shit moron and bye no means does a few idiot losers speak for the millions of seniors. The economy that was built by these seniors will recover unlike the seniors that will die. People like him should go out and kill themselves and do the remainder of the non loser part of society a big favor.

• irene
      29 March 2020 at 11:34 pm

The truth is Roland, if our economy collapses , we will have nothing to fight the next crises with. Also your language is that of a loser.

• irene
      29 March 2020 at 11:42 pm

The truth is if this economy collapses there will be nothing to fight the next crises with. If we collapse so will our medical system. Get smart ,Roland.

• Craig Rizner
    28 March 2020 at 6:40 pm

I agree a hundred percent. It’s ridiculous to shut the country down like this.

• George
    28 March 2020 at 6:42 pm

Mr Patrick represents the throng of Trump Idiots who sell what “they themselves do not own. Die now and avoid the last minute rush…leaving more oxygen for his grands.

• eugene vreeland
    28 March 2020 at 7:55 pm

I Agree!

• William OHalloran
    28 March 2020 at 8:11 pm

You guys just don’t get it. It is not the choice of a few “patriotic” seniors. Look at the epidemiology! This virus attacks all humans and not just the elderly. You send people back to work and the work gets sick and they stay at home. Industry shuts down despite our brave efforts and people of all ages die!

Please do your homework and follow the “fake” news which is the new word for the “fact” news. At least go to the CDC website.

Wishing you health and not sickness,
    Bill

• Kenneth Bauer
    28 March 2020 at 10:21 pm

Of course since Trump is running on the economy if it tanks so do his chances!

• Gerald Ladd
    28 March 2020 at 10:31 pm

I’m 69 years old. I suffer from COPD, and I’m not worried about this. The DemonRATS are doing their best to destroy our country.

• Marie. Oser
    28 March 2020 at 11:26 pm

Thank God that there are a good many older people who think as I do. As an 82 year old who so appreciates what this great Country has been to my family, friends and I, it makes more sense to keep this Country on track and progressing as we have been doing over the past couple of years. If we continue to let fear take us down, we won’t recover. Let those who are young and healthy carry on and continue to keep America great.

• an
    29 March 2020 at 12:26 am

While I, as a senior, also worry about the economy, I would still make every effort to do whatever it takes to prevent my death to Corona. While we all wish the best for our children’s futures, they did NOT grow up with the education that we had. Today’s school system should be dismantled & rebuilt. And so, its imperative that WE SENIORS survive this & TEACH OUR CHILDREN WHAT AMERICAN SCHOOLS FAILED TO DO.

• Lela Sandoval
      30 March 2020 at 1:16 am

Amen to teaching the truth to our children and grandchildren and great grandchildren the truth not what is being told to them in school, this is sad to have to say

• Nancy Dunn
    29 March 2020 at 1:02 am

When it gets tough the tough get going!.

Get our PRESIDENT in office 4 more years

• Hat
    29 March 2020 at 1:51 am

I’m 75 and I am full agreement with this sentiment. I’d rather take a chance on illness and even death rather than see our precious human rights and our recovering economy destroyed harming the majority and the next generation. I’ve had a good life, can look after myself. Don’t use me as an excuse to give in to fear and panic and sell out our heritage for a little illusion of safety.

• Stephen Milkereit
    29 March 2020 at 2:01 am

Dan Patrick is a sick man. I plan to wait and see how this plays out. I am not going to run out get sick and die as Patrick said last week all seniors should be willing to do. Just plain stupid and a moran for saying that.

• joy griess
    29 March 2020 at 2:09 am

i dont believe this for a minute, that anyone wants to die not only going to affect elderly , I have children who are very worried about parents and grandparents that statement is ridiculous

• ViCki
    29 March 2020 at 2:23 am

Patrick would it really matter. If you leave the Democrats in charge the USA is going to hell regardless of the Covid-19

• g.william
    29 March 2020 at 2:39 am

not this senior. Sind Sie verueckt?

• Susan Kondek
    29 March 2020 at 3:52 am

Respect seniors. Let the younger people work but better yet keep the country closed a while and I’ve been by Trump side all along except I found his comments very insulting

• Willie Glenn
    29 March 2020 at 4:26 am

What a fool. Why should seniors be expected to pay for the stupidity of politicians? If I must die for a cause, at least give me one that will make a difference. Aren’t children beginning to die from this virus too. Must we sacrifice them for fat old men who are not willing to walk the same path. If a politician says they will die for the economy, they lie.

• Gary Hull
    29 March 2020 at 12:24 pm

I am more than pleased with putting America back to work. I am sure there will be additional guidelines provided to help minimize the risks. Just use common sense to defeat the spread.

• susan hilton
    29 March 2020 at 3:17 pm

let us older people stay home our time may be short anyway at 72 you never know

• John
    29 March 2020 at 3:21 pm

I have never such BS

• joe g perrone
    29 March 2020 at 4:05 pm

in agreement 100%! i refuse to let fear run my life, end this fucking madness!

• Derek Blurb
    29 March 2020 at 7:14 pm

I’m 84 and allegedly in the doomed batch. Keep the country going! There’ll always risks and I know what I face. It’ll come anyhow. We will all get that virus, sooner or later. Later is best. I’ve cheated death many times and I intend to beat it again. I’ll end up dying of nothing anyhow.

• Mary Lynn Dugan
      1 April 2020 at 8:29 pm

Yes Derek, “dying of nothing” is right attitude along with understanding that with each breath of the gift of life we take, “living of everything” everything being our faith hope and love shared with each other every day, matters most!!!

• Mike
    21 May 2020 at 5:54 pm

These are real Americans! God bless America,and it’s people!

• AUBREY
    27 May 2020 at 7:28 pm

THIS ARTICLE IS PURE BS. A FEW SENIORS HERE (MOST LIKELY FAKE)DOES NOT REPRESENT THE MANY OUT THERE WHO FEEL QUITE THE OPPOSITE. THIS ARTICLE IS AN OBVIOUS ATTEMPT AT POLITICIZING THE PANDEMIC AND TRYING TO CONVINCE THE PUBLIC THAT MANY SENIORS SUCH AS MYSELF WOULD BE WILLING TO DIE AND SACRIFICE MYSELF INCLUDING MANY OF MY FRIENDS JUST SO WE COULD RISK OURSELVES BY REOPENING THE ECONOMY. IT’S OBVIOUS THAT MANY SENIORS ARE IN NO WAY THAT INTERESTED IN EXPOSING THEMSELVES TO A VIRUS THAT WILL MOST LIKELY AFFECT THOSE MANY YOUNG PEOPLE WHO TRAVEL EXCESSIVELY AND HAVEN’T YET BUILT UP THEIR RETIREMENTS AND CAN’T CONTROL THEIR SOCIAL APPETITE FOR BINGING AND BOOZING AT CLUBS, BUILDING UP THEIR NARCISSISTIC IMAGES AT THE GYMS AND SALONS AND CAN’T REIGN IN THERE SEXUAL DRIVES AT THE RISK OF CATCHING AN STD. YOU CAN ALL GO TO HELL AND NO I AM NEITHER A DEMOCRAT NOR A REPUBLICAN BECAUSE MOST OF YOU HAVE BECOME TOO EXTREME AND ARE WILLING TO DESTROY THIS ONCE GREAT COUNTRY FOR YOUR OWN SICK IDEOLOGIES. A FORUM THAT DESIGNATES ITSELF A ‘PATRIOTS 4 TRUMP 2020’ IS IN NO WAY UNBIASED AND DOES NOT REPRESENT MOST REAL AMERICANS.