Current Democrat frontrunner, Bernie Sanders has been all over the airwaves ahead of the Super Tuesday primaries saying that the appointment of Vice President Mike Pence to head up the coronavirus task force was a huge mistake and “disgusting.”
Sanders attacked President Trump for appointing Vice President Mike Pence to lead the government’s response to the threat of the COVID-19 virus.
“Trump’s plan for the coronavirus so far,” the Vermont senator said. “Cut winter heating assistance for the poor. Have VP Pence, who wanted to ‘pray away’ HIV epidemic, oversee the response. Let ex-pharma lobbyist Alex Azar refuse to guarantee affordable vaccines to all.”
Sanders went on to call Trump’s response to the crisis “disgusting.”
Pence was the governor of Indiana during the 2015 HIV outbreak in Scott County that led to more than 200 cases. He was asked about the need for a needle-exchange program and responded, “I’m going to go home and pray on it.”
Pence waited two months before calling the 2015 outbreak a public health emergency, a move that was widely criticized at the time.
“I don’t believe effective anti-drug policy involves handing out drug paraphernalia,” Pence told the Indianapolis Star that year.
He eventually allowed a 30-day needle exchange program to combat the outbreak.
But, in reality, Trump, Pence and the entire administration are well-prepared for the likely increase in cases here in the US. The president recently assured the public on that the federal government is prepared to contain the virus.
“In recent days, the White House met with over 40 state, county, and city health officials from over 30 states and territories to discuss how to respond to the potential threat of the coronavirus,” Pence said at the White House news conference.